Monday, April 7, 2014

Defining success

"Be careful with the way you measure success." This quote was a very powerful one and it has stuck with me for a while. I heard it during football practice one day while a retired football player was giving a speech. He learned this his first year playing for Michigan. The year before he was one of the best running backs in the country. He was used to getting the ball every play and showing what he could do. But when he got to College they wanted him to be the full back witch makes the hole for the running back. After his first game he was really disappointed because he only got a few carries and a few yards. He thought that he had failed because he wasn't getting the yards. This changed when he got to the film room and play after play the coach said his name and how well his blocks were. This is when he realized that he hadn't failed at all, but completely succeeded. This is why I like this quote. Instead of seeing the downside of what happened, think about where you started and how far you've made it and decide if that was a success for you.
     Throughout my high school career I believe I was successful in school and my sports.In school i could say that I failed because i got one B. But i look at it as the class that i got a B in wasn't required and i choose to test myself in so i call that B+ a success. Also it wasn't like it was a low B, it was a 89 something. I also believe i was successful in football. In middle school i barely saw the field and now I'm playing football at Trine University next fall. Looking at things from the successful side can help motivate you and drive your success even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment